Port Charlotte Parent Council…
What is the Parent Council?
The Parent Council supports the school by organising events, fundraising, helping out in school and being a ‘voice’ for parents. The prime aim of the Council is to work alongside the Head-teacher and staff to improve children’s learning experiences for example; raising money for trips, school grounds improvement etc.
The Council meet regularly over the terms to decide on any support needed and to get feedback from the Head-teacher on how the school is moving forward.
Why we need you!...
The Parent Council is always looking for new members to support their work and you can be as involved as you want to be. It is always beneficial to have a range of people with a range of skills and knowledge to bring to the table. Please sign up by speaking to Mrs Vessey or a member of the current Parent Council.
Information about our Parent Council...
- Our Parent Council Chair person is Mrs Sophie Gibbs.
- The Treasurer is Catherine McArthur.
- The Clerk is Jess McMillan
The Role of the Parent Council
The Scottish Parliament has passed a new law called the Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006 to encourage and support more parents to become involved in their child’s education.
The main aims of the Act are to:
- Help parents become more involved in their child’s education and learning.
- Welcome parents as active participants in the life of the school.
- Provide easier ways for parents to express their views and wishes.
To help achieve these aims, all parents will automatically be members of a Parent Forum at their child’s school and will be entitled to have a say in what happens at the school. As members of the Parent Forum, parents will have a say in selecting the Parent Council (the representative body) who will work on behalf of all parents at the school.
The role of the Parent Council is to:
- Support the school in its work with pupils.
- Represent the views of all parents.
- Encourage links between the school, parents, pupils, pre school groups and the wider community
- Report back to the parent forum.
The new Parent Council was recognised in law from August 2007. For more information on the Act or to find out about parents as partners in their children’s learning, please contact the school or Community Services: Education (01369 708526) or visit the Parent Zone website on www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk